All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
 Post subject: Re: Latest Page Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:29 am 
Citizen

Those were nice planes (could cruise forever!) but even if they just went low and slow and used only visual flight rules they still might not survive too long with those large fish things to drag them under, or just smash them, once they set-down on the water.
Planes are delicate machines!
What about submarines? I doubt if SONAR is affected, but again, large aquatic creatures. (?)

Surface ships are the best solution for protection and transportation because of the fog. But what Dang has been doing on the tiny Penumbra seems much more risky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 am 
Citizen

Considering how aged the penumbra looked, I got the feeling the giant fish thing attacks are a rare occurrence.

Glennnnn wrote:
Quake IV- You mean that Arbutus has gone to all that trouble to save Dang?
That's a very nice touch with the pin-wheel coming back to her.

No, just that it was quite similar. Fire something that shouldnt do anything, suddenly revealed that greater forces are at work, a shot of dang staring in shock/surprise. She is wounded to immobility. ETc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:17 am 
Citizen

Considering how aged the penumbra looked, I got the feeling the giant fish thing attacks are a rare occurrence.

That's what I thought too, originally. Maybe the giant fish are a new development?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 am 
Citizen

He Who Has No Name wrote:
I dunno.

With that big splinter in her side.... Folks, I'm not sure we're gonna see Dang breathing again. That's a music-ending wound in short order without significant treatment, and it doesn't look like that is coming soon. The pinwheel washing up makes this feel very final.

Hmmm - While Bean DID say this comic has a fairly short page-count, I would really like to hope it's not going to end THAT tragically. I honestly can't really imagine what Dang would consider a "happy" ending, given her apparent preference for solitude. The only person who didn't make her stammer and stutter was Logan. Not much of a conversationalist, though.

So - perhaps the sea-battle is a triumph for the Arbutus fleet, and of course they saw her flare. A small dinghy lands on her tiny island and our heroic fleet captain jumps out, strides over to her slumped, unconscious body, shakes his head, notes the blood oozing past the giant splinter, shouts for a medic and she wakes up in sick bay, to see him leaning against the doorway, sipping his coffee and studying her. Then what happens?

If there's any justice in the world, she's going to get hired and given a ship to help carry the fight against the "uncivilized" miasmics. Or perhaps they'll heap unco fines upon her for the complete destruction of Primrose - though really, that had the effect of taking it out of enemy hands.

Or, in a grimmer, considerably less desirable web-comic, the Arbutus fleet has no clue she's there and sails off and leaves her. Please don't do that, Bean - that would really suck.

p.s. - those of you who spotted the pinwheel, well done. Even after reading about it here it took me a ridiculous amount of time to find it....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 pm 
Citizen

Tru- You forgot about that little flash drive clutched in her hand. If she lives they might tell her how much they value that information. If she doesn't maybe she'll still be a hero.
-Is it Monday yet?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 pm 
Bystander

My bet is that the thumb drive is going to be the link between Dang and the next book of the comic. If I understand things correctly, Book 1 is almost over, but Book 2 is planned...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 am 
Citizen

Glennnnn wrote:
Tru- You forgot about that little flash drive clutched in her hand. If she lives they might tell her how much they value that information. If she doesn't maybe she'll still be a hero.
-Is it Monday yet?

Woot - thanks, I was WONDERING what she was holding. Now I recognize that little yellow smiley face sticker.

There's something so heart-breaking at the imagery on page 152. She has a front-row seat to a breath-taking sea battle, but can't really work up the energy to give it more than a glance. She hurt and exhausted, and still in shock and grief over the loss of the Penumbra. The last couple of panels looked like she was losing consciousness. A harsh word could take her out at this point.

I have to place my hope in the Arbutus fleet to keep her alive.

I wish it was Monday...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:37 am 
Citizen

I agree totally! Pulling at heart-strings! The Feels!
So sad there, but she is resigned, and on her little island under a green tree's protection.
A beautiful moment of peace.

(Yes, Let's hope that little Mr. Smiley-face is the bridge to the next chapter!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:29 am 
Bystander

Glennnnn wrote:
Those were nice planes (could cruise forever!) but even if they just went low and slow and used only visual flight rules they still might not survive too long with those large fish things to drag them under, or just smash them, once they set-down on the water.
Planes are delicate machines!
What about submarines? I doubt if SONAR is affected, but again, large aquatic creatures. (?)

Surface ships are the best solution for protection and transportation because of the fog. But what Dang has been doing on the tiny Penumbra seems much more risky.

That also depends on the size and frequency of fog banks. Or how high they go (above the cloud line?) Although why would low and slow be any safer than high and slow(or fast) given a flooded and seemingly plane scarce world?
There seems to be a range for mismatics currently, even if it is spreading. I could see some flying boats coming to rest in small tropical coves, especially with their flight range.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 am 
Citizen

Depending on what altitude the fog gets up to, and what it's composed of, it may also starve an aircraft engine for oxygen. Piston engine, turbofan... they all need air.

Naval vessels may do okay because of larger displacement and lower RPMs. Or, y'know, nuclear reactors.

:unknown kbytes received from //2033.UKRA.CHRNBYL.CPEXZONE.noID.STALKER.HeWhoHasNoName

@ECHO OFF

>_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 pm 
Citizen

"Low and slow" because that's about the most cautious kind of flying I can imagine. (And what the PBY is very good at, especially just above the water using the aerodynamics of that big wing.)
-Avoiding the banks of fog might be the easiest that way, since it plays havoc with communications (and probably direction-finding as well as the operating requirements for engines.) There might be places where aircraft use is less constrained- maybe the tropics, or the Southern hemisphere since the Miasmics appear to have originated in Greenland.
But the world isn't completely flooded. The examples of land we've seen have been fairly desolate and possibly more dangerous than being on the open sea, but that doesn't mean that its all like that.
Something about the fog seems like a living organism, and with a kind of intelligence, but it may have limits that we are yet to discover.

Post subject: Re: Latest Page Thread - Book 1 - Deluge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 am 
Life Is Hard

Aaaaaand that's book 1! Woops! Cliffhanger! Nearly 3 years in the making and over on a cliffhanger! Thank you so much to everyone who's been following along and to everyone that gave their insight through all this! I hope to see you again on New Years for Book 2 - Cloister!

In the meantime, the Derelict Kickstarter is still running. With the support of those backing or even spreading the word, we may be able to reach stretch goals including a guide to Gargoyles and three months of bonus updates.

Post subject: argh what where did those three years go
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 am 
Citizen

Beanjamish wrote:
Aaaaaand that's book 1! Woops! Cliffhanger! Nearly 3 years in the making and over on a cliffhanger!

So now you're obligated to go on a long hiatus.

Anyway, congrats on ending the first part of your story and getting your kickstarter funded and everything! Confetti everywhere!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:56 am 
Life Is Hard

Yup! Though just a month and a half (ish) off. In order to work on Kickstarter rewards and also really get some planning/buffer/concept art done on Book 2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 pm 
Citizen

Great cliffhanger! So "Monday" won't be for one and a half months.
(At least it's not six months, or a year.)
-A milestone is a milestone and you should take a little break to celebrate the successful completion of all that focused effort!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Citizen

Great way to end the book, and looking forward to book2... thanks Bean.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:16 am 
Citizen

Location: should be calculating orbital transfers for my own comic
It's not technically a page but those are number one worthy stretch goals. Miasmic guide coming up, oooo.... (The kickstarter's at $14,214 as I'm typing this.)

So, Ben, what's the stretch level for a This One guide?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:27 am 
Life Is Hard

Maybe book 2 will have one!

Also for any more questions about the Kickstarter there's a thread just for it now: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=352

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:15 pm 
Citizen

Has anyone before me asked what the black-red smoke coming out of the Demon's mouth was?
Reference: http://derelictcomic.com/?strip_id=120 Perhaps it isn't all that important of a question (if it hasn't been asked), but the fact that it's there just makes me wonder.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:50 pm 
Life Is Hard

Oh that was just from the flare burn, with some artistic liberty to make more of it that there would really be - because that is creepier.

Also welcome to the forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48