All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latest Page Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:40 am 
Citizen

The question is, did This One tell the truth about all that, or was it just more convenient to make it up?
It might be that before the great fall of civilization it wasn't in This One's best interests to make itself known, but now when there's less chance that a mass of amateur scientists will descend on it's solitude, or some whacko military types deciding that nukes were the only option, it can come out into the open to meddle in the affairs of these curious little talking things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:13 am 
Citizen

Glennnnn wrote:
The question is, did This One tell the truth about all that, or was it just more convenient to make it up?
It might be that before the great fall of civilization it wasn't in This One's best interests to make itself known, but now when there's less chance that a mass of amateur scientists will descend on it's solitude, or some whacko military types deciding that nukes were the only option, it can come out into the open to meddle in the affairs of these curious little talking things.

Heheh. You are bound and determined to make This One into a master Machiavelli, aren't you? ;) Only Bean knows how truthful it was - but I'm going to take it at face value for now - as otherwise you wind up with such a vast array of possibilities you can't speculate at all. Forgive me my twiddling - I'm a habitué of Theoryland.com, which was dedicated to unraveling the Wheel of Time series and apparently taught me some bad habits. While I didn't post there all that often I enjoyed reading everyone's ideas. Same as here. As you said previously, in a story this sparse with narrative, we have to tweak out meaning from whatever we can see. And it's FUN!

Yes, if I were This One I would have avoided contact with the noisy, paranoid humans too - at least, the humans before the fall of civilization as we know it. But think pre-historically. If it is as old as it says, and had been here all along, there wouldn't have been much reason to conceal itself - and we know it gets lonely. Shrug. It has never claimed to be native - it's only claimed to have watched us. There are suggestions in the wording that it watched us at our height, but Bean is being very careful to keep us guessing. Which we do. XD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 am 
Life Is Hard

I've put up a bonus friday update as a thanks for people supporting the kickstarter and spreading the word.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:48 am 
Citizen

Glennnnn wrote:

Highly unlikely that explosion could be anything but the flare finding something nice to ignite.
Those are the same ships that were at Primrose, and I think they were hunting Dang and Penumbra.

"Some insightful speculation".

Boom! (Sorry, I had to.. ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 pm 
Citizen

Pinky-
Considering the effect it had, I think that Dang should shoot her flare-gun AGAIN!!! =)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
Bystander

Tru wrote:
On HUMAN ships, perhaps. But it's really unclear what the miasmics' technology level is. I'm reminded of the slingshot bayonets some of them had at Primrose.

I'd be careful of judging their technological level so hastily. Those slingshots are clearly copying the layout of rifles; we've seen one of these barbaric-looking Miasmics use a computer in Primrose; they have seemingly modern naval artillery on their iron ships, and have a use for fuel. Despite their barbarous looks, their tech level is clearly not primitive, although their use of high-tech devices may be limited (by lack of resources, or maybe taboos) they clearly know what modern technology is and how to use it. They seem to use modern technology less commonly than Arbutus or the people (human and miasmic) of the Goya, but they're ignorant of it.
Tru wrote:
I wish we had a clue about time. How long has it been since the oceans rose? Ten years, fifty, a hundred? More? There are clues, but they don't offer enough to pin it down. It's been long enough for a full-grown tree to grow behind a crashed airplane wing. But not long enough to completely demolish high-tension power lines. I'm just wondering how thoroughly established the new "normal" is, culturally speaking. Is Dang just one of hundreds of scavengers or is she quite unusual? (Well, of COURSE she's unusual - but that's not what I mean) When she took the Penumbra back from Beauf and Klein, he said something about "Dead the moment I had to go fight a mothballer on her own ship." This implies that there's been a reputation earned - which requires a certain amount of history. Though he might also have been a mothballer - he has the same kind of dye in his hair.

We had a very good, probably reliable indication on the [i]Goya[/i]: the Miasmic tribes of Greenland ("where it all started") had not had contact with humans for so long, they believed humans to be a legend. This means several generations have passed (for Miasmics, whose lifespan we do not know) since humans were last in contact with Greenland.

Since "it all started" in Greenland, its possible the unprepared human population there was wiped out instantly by the apocalypse—it's obviously possible now for humans to return to Greenland and the Miasmics there don't seem hostile (the recording mentions trading and conversing with them, but not fighting) but we don't know what precautions are needed. Since it sounds like some kind of epicentre of the Miasma, I'd bet the humans need respiratory gear.

Fifty years seems like it would have to be an absolute minimum, unless Miasmics have extremely short life cycles. A hundred years or more seems more likely to me, howewer, they aren't digging for the old cities so it cannot be much more than a century either. The insides of several abandonned buildings seemed relatively untouched by the elements, which can mean two things: the apocalypse was gradual and these buildings were still in use relatively recently (but why the lack of obvious preparations?) or IMO more likely, artistic licence in not drawing mud everywhere. The buildings might also have lasted some decades before they started failing and letting in rain, etc.

With regards to This One: we just don't have enough information on it just yet. It is almost certainly telepathic, quite possibly has the other properties it claimed, like virtual (or litteral?) immortality and we know what it did with Dang—which is possibly not as friendly as it claimed, since it may have known it was putting her in the path of those rampaging Miasmic ships.

With regards to the flare gun and Dang:
for all that she's not keen on Arbutus, it seems unlikely they're the kind who'd leave her to rot or kill her and take her stuff, so I'm betting she wished she saved that flare to call for their help (assuming they win the engagement, of course). Maybe Dang has a spare flare, though. Also, she doesn't know but we do that the Arbutus officer have seen the camera footage at Primrose: will they give her a medal for screwing over the Miasmics, or will they shoot her for damaging a possibly vital oil rig?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:48 pm 
Citizen

That's a good question about Arbutus. Will they sink the Miasmic ships and then toss Dang a box of rations and some water or will she be a celebrated hero in command of her own ship?
Gosh!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:19 pm 
Bystander

Glennnnn wrote:
That's a good question about Arbutus. Will they sink the Miasmic ships and then toss Dang a box of rations and some water or will she be a celebrated hero in command of her own ship?
Gosh!!!

She destroyed a very valuable resource they hoped to take back as with low damage as possible. I think they are angry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 pm 
Citizen

Yeah, I can see where that might be a problem.
But it's not a total loss, since she didn't destroy the oil that's still in the shale-deposit below Primrose, just the direct means to get it. Even then it might not be that bad: maybe some sort of repairs are possible, with a simpler set up. Primrose was state-of-the-art technology, but to just get the crude oil they don't need that.

So, probably somewhere in between I'm guessing.

On Friday's Super Bonus Page (!!!) the situation suddenly doesn't look very good for those 2 Miasmic ships, but what if there are more lurking around in the fog? What if those aggressive fish join-in with the on-going struggle? If the Arbutus ships get sunk instead is there another way out for Dang?
It seems like every new page leaves us with more questions that we can't answer!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 am 
Bystander

There is a possibility that the station was a relic from before the disaster and they can not build anything like it now, because the necessary industrial infrastructure is not here anymore.

But the point is not that. If I burnt down a house, it would be no excuse that it can be rebuilt.
Also there is a good chance they ask where she got the ID card she used to access the system. She may very well be accused of murder if her explanation is not very good. (And ironically it is true...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:32 am 
Citizen

Very good points, although we don't know the history of the Primrose engineer.
But what she did was probably not as bad as what the Miasmics would have done if they had thought they were going to lose the drilling rig to Arbutus. It goes all the way back to Sun Tzu and the Art of War that you don't leave a resource for your enemy to use (against you.)

Sorry, I didn't think of this earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 pm 
Bystander

Just some random observations about Arbutus. One interesting thing is that they seem to use no aircraft whatsoever, although they seem the most technologically advanced faction—the Goya recording indicates they have technology well ahead of what the Goya had, and the Goya impressed Dang. In a similar vein, their ships seemingly carry no guided missiles. In fact, they seem to have snuck up on the Miasmics and engaged at what looks to be quite a short distance for a naval battle—the Miasmics at least seem to have no radar or similar devices, and probably either poor eyesight or negligent sentries. They seemingly didn't notice the Penumbra docking at Primrose either—being surprised is a bad habit for a war fleet.

Of course, since they fear the sun, they may be permanently dazzled in bright sunlight. That would explain why their fleet has such poor awareness.

Another interesting observation is that the Arbutus ships are steel, but their decks are wood. Depending on how much importance Bean is paying to such details, it may be a meaningless aesthetic point—or that close up of the Arbutus ship may be setting us up for a plunging shot blowing her up (HMS Hood was lost that way, and her deck was actually armoured).

P.S. since ammunition handling was brought up previously, I recall on one panel (page 144, IIRC) we saw a Miasmic handling a fully cased shell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:34 am 
Citizen

Geez. I haven't missed aircraft until now. Just sort of expected to see something flying at some time or another. The technology is here and there, some have it, some don't. Just because we haven't seen flying aircraft or blimps, missiles, rockets or space craft doesn't mean they aren't on another page, when the super-science guys show themselves.
But you're a very observing reader!
-Maybe there's something wrong with the weather?
-High turbulence in the atmosphere makes aircraft crash?
The Miasmics might just be out of their league when it comes to direct observation during daylight.
Beauford did all right in the dark.
The deck on that ship is probably steel-plate underneath planking, still less armored than the sides of the hull, but most of the shots would be nearly horizontal, so thicker steel is on the vertical planes of the hull. The HMS Hood engaged the German Pocket-Battleship Bismarck, that had massive guns firing huge shells. Not exactly what their deck armor was designed to protect them from, but it's theoretically the weakest part of a fighting steel ship.
Projectile with case: The way it works is the case fits on the projectile but can be removed and the powder separated (it comes in pre-measured bags) to provide enough velocity for the range, then the case is re-assembled onto the base of the projectile. At the range they are now to their targets they would be using the smallest possible charge to avoid wasting powder, which they might not have an abundance of. While it's possible to make shells coded somehow for specific ranges, they could also just have the standard high-velocity shell that works with an armor-piercing bullet to hit another ship at or below the waterline, but it would waste powder.
Could. Might. Maybe. Possibly. Probably. (Not knowing anything for certain, I use those words a lot...)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:26 am 
Citizen

Reminds me of saving private ryan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 pm 
Citizen

Quake IV- You mean that Arbutus has gone to all that trouble to save Dang?
That's a very nice touch with the pin-wheel coming back to her.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 pm 
Citizen

I dunno.

With that big splinter in her side.... Folks, I'm not sure we're gonna see Dang breathing again. That's a music-ending wound in short order without significant treatment, and it doesn't look like that is coming soon. The pinwheel washing up makes this feel very final.

:unknown kbytes received from //2033.UKRA.CHRNBYL.CPEXZONE.noID.STALKER.HeWhoHasNoName

@ECHO OFF

>_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:29 pm 
Citizen

Bean- You certainly do have a page-turner here! Here it is Monday and I wish it was already Monday! As you said, the curse of the once-weekly online comic...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:19 pm 
Citizen

http://derelictcomic.com/?strip_id=15
http://derelictcomic.com/?strip_id=114 (panel 3)

Seems like Fog kills all communications to me. Flying planes would be nuts if you could suddenly lose all contact with the ground. Also may explain the crashed aircraft Dang found, as well as the lack of Radar in the naval fight happening right now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Citizen

Iirc Bean confimed that fog blocks radar.

That's why Dang could dock without being spotted at Primrose, and why she went back into the fog to try and shake off the miasmic fleet.

Likewise it's probably why the Arbutus ships came in at such close range. As someone pointed out, they have some pretty hefty guns capable of long-range fire, so the only reason for them to get in so close is because they need a direct line of sight to calibrate their shots.

EDIT: Oh, and it totally explains why she didn't notice the GOYA coming in to ram Pen in the opening pages of the book! I'd assume even a tiny boat like Penumbra would have some kind of radar system, no?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm 
Bystander

I get why there's been no working planes in the comic, but I'd still love to see a Catalina...
Or it's modern decedent at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next