All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latest Page Thread - Book 2 - Cloister
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:36 pm 
Citizen

Ah, see? We're not that different. We like sushi, she likes sushi. She's practically human.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:28 am 
Citizen

Those little arms can be so friggin' cute sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:28 pm 
Bystander

Wow, thanks for the warm greeting guys :3

The_Knowing wrote:
Those little arms can be so friggin' cute sometimes.

From what I understood so far she is more clumsy than evil, so cute definitely suits her!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:47 pm 
Citizen

I gotta say that her perfectly human feet on the bottom of those legs just ... look seriously out of place.

I gotta take some exception to Una's design, though. The forward "tine" of her arm is longer than the length from shoulder to wrist of the "normal" appearance of the arm. There's no way she'd be able to bend her elbow like she did in the train to grab the edge of her hat without it revealing itself. The same is true of the leg tines. They extend upward past her knee joints when closed.

I'm all for artistic license to make a point, but... :( Do they scrunch up or something?

I'd really love to know what the world looks like to her brain. Do her sensors detect more or less than the human eye? Does she REALIZE how exposed her position is out on that platform? Would she be able to detect it if someone could see her from a distance?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:55 am 
Citizen

Tru wrote:
I gotta say that her perfectly human feet on the bottom of those legs just ... look seriously out of place.

I gotta take some exception to Una's design, though. The forward "tine" of her arm is longer than the length from shoulder to wrist of the "normal" appearance of the arm. There's no way she'd be able to bend her elbow like she did in the train to grab the edge of her hat without it revealing itself. The same is true of the leg tines. They extend upward past her knee joints when closed.

I'm all for artistic license to make a point, but... :( Do they scrunch up or something?

I'd really love to know what the world looks like to her brain. Do her sensors detect more or less than the human eye? Does she REALIZE how exposed her position is out on that platform? Would she be able to detect it if someone could see her from a distance?

I think you're assuming that her skeleton and joints stay consistent between forms, and from what we've seen of the morphos, that's... uh, not really the case.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:09 am 
Citizen

Tru wrote:

From what we see, she not simply "unfolding" a fixed anatomy. She's actually performing some kind of limited "The Thing" style shapeshifting. While she does seem to favor certain structures (and has limits, such as being unable to make eyes), I assume that her limbs adjust on the fly to be however long they need to be in the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 am 
Citizen

It's amazing how much this page "humanizes" Una, all things considered. Here we have an insect like sort of hybrid bit of not-human (and as horror and the uncanny valley effect indicate, things that seem humanlike but aren't are quite disturbing) devouring a living creature, all six limbs on full display, teeth and all, but the effect is more inclined towards opposite of what I would expect given that description.

See, she eats to survive too! Just a person chowing down on some mandible-smacking good fish.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:22 pm 
Life Is Hard

I actually redrew the last panel a few times intending to make it somewhat "cuter" as the first few poses were too predatory and intimidating for what I did want to come across as stragnely restful.

And yeah her forearms and shins and whatnot elongate and harden\sharpen with limited shapeshifting. These creatures can't go full The Thing but have a bit of leeway in their transformations.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:51 am 
Citizen

That's not gonna buff out.

:unknown kbytes received from //2033.UKRA.CHRNBYL.CPEXZONE.noID.STALKER.HeWhoHasNoName

@ECHO OFF

>_

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:48 pm 
Bystander

(pg. 254) Need a hug?

Brilliant. Just popping in, still reading :)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:59 pm 
Citizen

I just love how happy Una looks while going to shank the dude. Like, YAY THEY FINALLY NOTICED ME!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:19 pm 
Citizen

Dude. Next time, send a text.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 am 
Citizen

I'm forced to assume he's a government agent - he's all in black and wearing sunglasses....

Incidentally, Bean - you got me started on Kiwi Blitz a few years ago. The author just got off her hiatus and is posting again if you still follow it at all. For a story that looked completely silly, light and anime-ish when it started, it's got a fairly decent storyline going with a few dark mysteries.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:25 pm 
Citizen

Peeking on skinny dippers is not cool, man. You deserve the shave and a haircut you're about to get.

Tru wrote:
I'm forced to assume he's a government agent - he's all in black and wearing sunglasses....

He's previously seen here: http://derelictcomic.com/?strip_id=186

The trooper appears to be answering to him in some way. It isn't much to go on, but he appears to be associated with authority in some way. He seems to be interested in Una particularly, so my guess is that he's an underling of Harold Mason or a contractor on the hunt for Una.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:42 pm 
Citizen

PAT PAT

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

http://www.derelictcomic.com/index.php?strip_id=255

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm 
Citizen

I would happily recommend a reading of the entire comic to someone just to get them to the PAT PAT panel to see their reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 pm 
Citizen

Well, it did make him stop screaming. I can't quite tell from the artwork if he's terrified out of his wits or slightly offended or just astonished. Probably a bit of all three.

I'm wondering what she's sniffing that has her sounding intrigued. Perhaps he smells of Mason. Or maybe of fish :D But according to page 212, Mason is the head of Arbutus' security. So he's probably this guy's boss. It's hard to settle on my next question, there are so many. But I am wondering how she came to be in Impala's company. I'm guessing that Charlise worked for Mason and engineered some kind of escape - but was it for Una alone or did she release the others as well? Una did, after all, reference "those of us born in the lab." That means that Una and the one on the Goya aren't unique.

SOME DAY this story will be complete and I'll probably STILL have a bunch of questions. "This One" spoke of the Goya monster as "the doting fledgling of its kindred." It also seemed to imply that it itself was older than god. (Or at least the same age...) Immortal beings generally wouldn't reproduce very often, if at all. But it did say that they were related "tangentially." Shrug. My working hypothesis is that "This One," the miasmics and the kharidians (Una and company) are extra-terrestrial. I'm uncertain if the flooding of the Earth was caused by Climate Change or by Enemy Action.

Ah, well. All will be revealed in time, right, Bean?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:20 pm 
Life Is Hard

I think like.... 75% will be revealed in time, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 am 
Citizen

Beanjamish wrote:
I think like.... 75% will be revealed in time, haha.
OK, that's just plain mean! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:01 am 
Citizen

Tru wrote:
I'm wondering what she's sniffing that has her sounding intrigued.

Well, clearly it is the sweet smell of freshly soiled underwear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next