All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Question?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:16 pm 
Life Is Hard

Sure, sending you a note about details.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm 
Citizen

Wanted to ask:

Are the primrose towers inspired by any real world building? They really ring a bell, but I can't put my finger on quite what they remind me of.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:41 pm 
Life Is Hard

I didn't look at any one building, but rather at a lot of mio-mimicry design - both real and conceptual. Also, I was inspired by water-parks and several buildings of Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:48 am 
Citizen

Found the building I was thinking of - it's in Dubai.

http://iphonewallpaperclub.com/dubai-coastline/

Had you seen it before?

I can see what you mean about some of the newer towers in Abu Dhabi too.

It looks very cool, anyway :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:15 am 
Life Is Hard

Oh, yeah I've seen that before and bet it had some influence on a subconscious level for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 pm 
Citizen

Freudian architecture. Who woulda thought it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm 
Life Is Hard

Freudian architecture. PENISES! EVERYTHING PENISES!

And the smaller dome buildings kinda look like boobs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 am 
Citizen

And the Red Line is the umbilical cord.

Also... yes, that Miasmic is riding a giant sea-penis.

http://derelictcomic.com/?strip_id=79

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:01 am 
Bystander

I have but one question so far.
Why have we seen no sailing ships, or even riding sails? (Riding Sail: a very sturdy, often rubber sail, used to keep the bow facing into the wind when the engine is off.)
I'd think that a sailboat would be just about ideal, at least for some mothballers, even with the lack of speed because you don't need fuel (Or much of it), and the fact that many sailboats were made with hulls that didn't rot or rust, like fiberglass. Or, for the exotic, ferro-concrete. (Basically chickenwire inside concrete.)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:41 am 
Life Is Hard

Well, the only non-military ships you've seen are the Penumbra and presumably the Goya.

I contemplated giving the Penumbra a big ol' sail in addition to a motor but decided against it. Partially to play up the importance of fuel, partially because one person manning a sail boat would be much harder work. Maybe it would have made sense for the long-term, but ah well!

The Goya is simply a huge heavy industrial ship. Sails would be pretty impractical for it.

As for the Arbutus fleet and the larger Gargoyle ships we've seen - these are big military vessels. I can't go into detail about each group right now as not much info has come up but rest-assured they have access to resources.

Now, there will certainly be sailing ships in this comic eventually. Merchant ships on safter routs, short-ranged civilian ships, less well-equipped militaristic groups, and home-made ships as apposed to salvaged ships would all be fine places for sails.

The importance fuel still has in the world of Derelict is a major catalyst for many events in the story, though. It's also easier to get than I think people have been assuming. Corn based fuel is a big thing, and keep in mind that Primrose was an entire colony built around an oil drill. Dang also salvages loads of materials, as we've seen, not just essentials for survival. In apocalypse terms, she's wealthy.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:56 am 
Bystander

Agreed, on all points. Probably the only sail to logically put on the Penumbra is the rubber riding sail, to keep the bow into the wind when the engine is off, doing nothing else. (Now that I think about it, doesn't even have to be rubber. Either has to be some cloth that can be drawn taught, or perhaps a big piece of sheetmetal, winched tight and straight using the crane. OVERTHINKING THINGS!) Even if you put decent sized sails on it, the windage (Wind resistance) of the structure, how much is above the water, etc, makes it something that isn't practical. Hmmm. One rig that may be practical for the Penumbra is simply a windmill with a shaft running to the prop. That is the only one that I can think of, and even then it would be absolutely horrible to install. (Not to mention the hazard of "that thing is like an airplane prop, dawg. Don't you dare touch it while it is running, or you'll get chopped in HALF." )

Yay nitpicking, or just random thoughts. Ah well.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 pm 
Bystander

Is there any possibility of adding the optional <pubDate> tag to the RSS feed? Since my RSS reader is defaulting the date, new posts are appearing pages deep into the read items.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:39 pm 
Life Is Hard

I'm not an RSS user myself and my RSS page was made for me by someone else, so I don't know.
If you have a tumblr or if RSS works with Tumblr you can follow me here where I post whenever a new page goes up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 am 
Citizen

Don't know if you're still checking this thread, but hey.

Has the projected length of Derelict changed at all in the past two years? You once said to me that it would probably be about 4-500 pages, but that may have become longer as the story got fleshed out, or shorter as you worked out ways to cut material.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 am 
Life Is Hard

I'm still guessing about that length.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:00 am 
Citizen

How do you imagine the "demon" sounding?

(If this isn't a spoiler) Can it change its limbs in some way - e.g. to look more like Subject 101?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:26 pm 
Life Is Hard

This is a soundless medium, so however people interpret a character's voice is part of the fun of it, and can't really be "wrong".
I myself hear it sorta wavering and alien - like he's feeling out the words as he says them - but fairly calm and deadpan. Sorta like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7EmL55jUk8

You'll see what the "demons" can do. This particular one is not Subject 101, for those that browsed old Deviant Art images.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 am 
Citizen

Beanjamish wrote:
This particular one is not Subject 101, for those that browsed old Deviant Art images.

Oh, thank goodness. 101 is special, all right.
...but that also means that there's more of these things.

Will Dang ever catch a break?
Also, did the Goya ever have any UV weapons, or did it just rely on good ol' (whatever type of futurestuff) bullets?
Also also, why was the ship named after Goya?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 pm 
Life Is Hard

Dang will never catch a break ever!

The Goya had some UV weapons but mostly relied on more conventional weaponry. Their mixed crew meant that in the event of a sudden Gargoyle attack their own Gargoyles wouldn't be shielded against most UV weapons. Bullets work just fine on these guys, as we have seen with Dang vs. Beautiful Flower.

Because those that owned the Goya were about preserving humanity's lost knowledge and work, and they came across an original painting by Francisco Goya (which Dang saw in the lunch room), it's totally possible they named the entire ship after that.
Fransico was also big on painting monsters and the low points of humanity - which grimly fit the Goya's mission.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:52 pm 
Bystander

Hello all

First off, GREAT comic. Awsome graphics, amazing story. Thanks for your hard work. I found this comic a couple of weeks ago, and since then I have been through it all multiple times.

I do have some questions, some about the process of the comic, and more about the actual comic.

How much of the plot have you thought of? If you have thought of the entire plot, how easy/frequent is it changed?(After all, you said that this is probably going to take almost five years, surely some additions to the plot must manifest themselves from time to time.)

What’s going on in number 87 through 90. When Dang is exposed to the fog, she has a hallucination, but then in number 90, right before everything gets blown to hell, it seems like the fog has dissipated, and she is still standing. When the POW with long dark hair is exposed to the fog, she is affected almost immediately. She goes down and stays down. Is Dang immune to the fog, but doesn’t know it? The Gargoyles weren’t holding her, and were surprised when she was able to escape, indicating that her lack of reaction to the fog is abnormal.

How long had the Penumbra been in Primrose, when the Gargoyle nave showed up? Or if, she was able to sneak in after occupation, how long had the Gargoyles been is Primrose?

Does the fog turn humans into Gargoyles, or kill them? If it turns them, does it only work on females? (All the captives shown were women.)

Keep up the good work, man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next